Empathy of a Soldier of Caesar’s Army during the Battle of Alesia

I am not afraid. I am a soldier. My life is defined by the conquests I make. I am a Roman! Greater grounds would mean greater employment for my people, an enriched living my family deserves. But no, I am not at war for capital. I hold my sword for conceit. Yet, what is this fear that encapsulates me this day? Am I afraid of being outnumbered? Would there actually be an army of 300,000 Gallic soldiers as speculated? No, I fear them not. I would return as a noble to my people. I fight for prestige, I fight for pride, I fight for Rome … I fight for Caesar! We are few but we are strong. We are a trained 60,000 with an astute commander. Why can I not erase the thought of the debt my leader got buried under? Would it really be true that the office of Consul for my chief brought us today to fight the undefeated? Have mercy on me O Mars! I am not feeble like the Arvernia. Tomorrow’s sun shall see me fight. I would not bring shame to the land of Romulus. We shall feast and rejoice once the last drop of blood has settled in the sand, and the new sun would emblaze the greater grounds of Rome!

If I see not tomorrow’s sun O Venus, let the heart of my beloved be filled with pride. I fight today more for her esteem than I do for any capital. Fill not her heart with woe; for this world is no world for the weak and shaken. Let my feeling by her side raise her nobility, and never let her astray. My sons how much I miss thou! Your little fingers, your little toes are too young to deal with spades and swords. Protect my family O Janus! Let not Vercingetorix shatter my abode, take our women, murder our sons…

The thought of defeat??? How weak is this thought. I bring shame to my people already. I form the army of the great Caesar. We have won against many a brave men. We have already formed the greater portion of the wall that shall enslave the Gallics. May Jupiter be with us, we shall win this battle soon! I would share a laugh with the men once we drink our wine again. I shall narrate to them the story of fear Pan brought upon me and laugh. I shall then but laugh!


O Somnus, let me sleep in peace. Free my head of all the thought and let my body rest for the war I shall be a part of tomorrow. We will defeat the Gallics. We shall be the triumphants!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Screams Are That Loud

Something for the First Time

Passage to Desensitization